The course is designed to meet the National Occupational Competency Profiles for the practitioner level of emergency medical responder (EMR) established by the Paramedic Association of Canada (PAC). It provides the knowledge and skills necessary in an emergency to help sustain life, reduce pain, and minimize the consequences of injury or sudden illness until the next level of health care takes over.
About this course
• For those who have a current Red Cross First Responder certification issued within the last year or are in a nationally recognized Advanced/First Responder Program. 40-hour course with course pre-assignment (Friday 6pm - 10pm, Saturday and Sunday 8:30 - 5:30pm)
• 3-year certification as Emergency Medical Responder and CPR Level BLS
• Includes CPR Level BLS
• Includes AED (Automated External Defibrillation) certification (where local legislation permits)
• Conducted by a certified Red Cross Emergency Medical Responder Instructor
Held at 506-1580 Merivale Road.
Who should attend
Those involved in providing emergency response including fire fighters, police, EMS. Must hold a current First Responder certification issued within the last year.
• The Emergency Scene
• Body Systems
• Preventing Disease Transmission
• Primary Survey
• Secondary Survey
• Measuring Blood Pressure
• Respiratory Emergencies
• Specific Types of Respiratory Distress
• Cardiac Emergencies (CPR-HCP)
• Breathing Devices
• Bleeding and Shock
• Soft Tissue Injuries
• Musculoskeletal injuries
• Injuries to the Head and Spine
• Injuries to the Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis
• Injuries to the Extremities
• Sudden Illness
• Heat and Cold Emergencies
• Special Populations/Crisis Intervention
• Childbirth and Complications
• Reaching and Moving Casualties
• Multiple Casualty Incidents
• Emergency Vehicle Operations and Transportation
• Written exam (min. passing grade 80%)
What makes us different?
Although other providers may give the same content as above, our Instructors make all the difference. Others may use "Contractors" to teach for them, all of our Instructors are our employees.